Wednesday 3 April 2013

What is Fixing Who?


I am a fan of Doctor Who.

Now that's not to say I'm a rabid Whovian, but I have watched the majority of the surviving episodes, and even a couple of the reconstructions that are floating around.

Over the last couple of seasons I have been growing increasingly uneasy about the direction the show has been taking. More and more little niggles are adding up to really rub me the wrong way.

My overarching complaints can be categorised as:
  • Go, go, go, Geronimo!
  • The Companion Show, featuring The Doctor
  • Hunka hunka burning Doc
  • Deus Ex Screwdriver
  • In-Who-Endo
I'll expand on these later, but I'd hope those on the same page as me would already have an idea what I'm getting at with each of these. The list is by no means exhaustive, but many of the smaller issues are symptoms of the larger ones

I've been thinking about these problems for a while, but I recently realised that rather than dwell on the negatives it would be a far more fun exercise to whip out the old Sonic Screwdriver and work out what it would take to fix the show I have loved from childhood.

I also hope to get the chance to rework specific problem episodes to show how they could have been done better.

Of course, this is all my own opinion, and I'm not a qualified writer, but I do watch a lot of telly, and that's gotta count for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment